How to Take Action
At the protest yesterday, Black Lives Matter leaders said “We need your time, we need your body, we need your money.”
- The easiest way to take action is to EDUCATE YOURSELVES and to partake in the difficult conversations. Posting on social media is a great start, but the most effective conversations are ones that happen one on one, in person or over the phone. Many organizations have a “toolkit” available on their website so you can learn about the issues and make informed arguments, as well as share graphics and posts directly from the source.
- The second way to take action is to show up to community meetings, in person or virtually, to call your local officials, the partake in protests throughout the year, not only when things are at a boiling point.
- The third way is by far the easiest – DONATE.
Where to Donate
- NAACP – NAACP.org
- Black Lives Matter – blacklivesmatter.com
- ACLU – aclu.org
- Anti Police Terror Project: antipoliceterrorproject.org
- Black Trans Advocacy Coalition: blacktrans.org
- Black Lives Matter Los Angeles – blmla.org
- Action Bail Fund by Black Lives Matter Los Angeles: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/wp4bl
- The People’s Budget Los Angeles: peoplesbudgetla.com
The Minnesota Freedom Fund has received an outpouring of love and support, and asks that resources be allocated to these smaller organizations who also need support.
- Black Visions Collective – blackvisionsmn.org
- Reclaim The Block – reclaimtheblock.org
- Northstar Health Collective – northstarhealthcollective.org/
Some of these link directly to articles, and some link to longer reading lists
- White Awake – whiteawake.org
- Why Talk About Whiteness? – https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/summer-2016/why-talk-about-whiteness
- Curriculum for White Americans to Educate Themselves on Race and Racism – From Ferguson to Charleston – http://citizenshipandsocialjustice.com/2015/07/10/curriculum-for-white-americans-to-educate-themselves-on-race-and-racism/
- Black Lives Matter Long Form Reading List – https://www.autostraddle.com/blacklivesmatter-the-longform-reading-list-265454/
- Syllabus for White People to Educate Themselves – https://static1.squarespace.com/static/581e9e06ff7c509a5ca2fe32/t/5c04cda9032be459fe19c774/1543818667234/Syllabus_for_White_People_to_Educate_Themselves.pdf
- How to Be an Antiracist [Video] – https://www.aspenideas.org/sessions/how-to-be-an-antiracist?gclid=CjwKCAjwq832BRA5EiwACvCWsQYmckB28AnHg8u0Zf8Yw3S8kfcprCLVCNX9KAZFWLJ0NuId8VRbNhoCYnUQAvD_BwE
- Building a Multi-Ethnic, Inclusive, And Antiracist Organization- https://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/olcese.pdf
- From Words to Action: Showing Up for Black Trans Women. In response to our sister, Muhlaysia Booker http://www.tgijp.org/from-words-to-action-showing-up-for-black-trans-women.html
Accounts To Follow
Black Owned Businesses
- Black Book LA (guide to find black owned businesses in Los Angeles) – https://www.blkbkla.com/
BLACK BREAST CANCER RESOURCES
- Shay Sharpe’s Pink Wishes- shaysharpespinkwishes.org